YFS Head Start and Early Head Start
Head Start and Early Head Start are federally funded, no-cost, parent-focused programs that serve low-income children, ages 0-5, and their families.
• Goals include increasing social skills and school readiness for young children while increasing the self-sufficiency for families.
• Caring, highly qualified teachers design curriculum and activities that are fun, developmentally appropriate, and individualized.
• Rapid City Head Start recognizes the parent as the child's primary teacher, educator and advocate.
• Parent involvement is a strength of Head Start and parents are encouraged to be actively involved.
• YFS has sponsored Head Start services in the Rapid City area since 1984.
Infants & Toddlers
• Early Head Start programming provided for pregnant women, children ages 0-3, and their families.
• Regularly scheduled home visits.
• Highly qualified home visitors and teachers are trained to work with parents and share activities that will benefit the education and lives of the children
• Socialization opportunities are offered weekly to allow children to play and interact with others their own age.
• Head Start offers 3 and 1/2 hour sessions, four days a week in a preschool environment.
• Extended day option available.
• Breakfast, lunch, and/or a nutritious snack are offered in all sessions.
• Rapid City Head Start will assist families who need transportation by busing as many children as possible.
Head Start ApplicationClick here to download the 2016-2017 enrollment application.
YFS Head Start gives priority to families who meet the household income guidelines or have children with disabilities. Income guidelines are established by the federal government each year. All services are free of charge for participants who qualify.
Contact Rapid City Head Start
Stop in or call the desired location
605-341-6448410 E. Monroe St.
Rapid City, SD 57701
1920 N. Plaza Blvd.
Rapid CIty, SD 57702
East Adams Site
120 East Adams St.
Rapid City, SD 57701
421 Don Williams Dr.
Box Elder, SD 57719